tracheal resection, day 3

Today has been pretty uneventful.

They were supposed to transfer me out of ICU yesterday morning, but I am still waiting on a bed in a normal room. So they've essentially upgraded me to "normal patient" status, which means I'm not on a ton of monitors or leads.

They are still giving me blood thinners around the clock, and the steroid shot has made my glucose levels go insane, so I am also receiving insulin. Other than that, pain is being managed with Tylenol, and I am no longer on a pain pump (and have refused Oxy).

I am a little apprehensive for the morning, as my surgeon told me he'd be removing the tape from my sutures. Considering I just had major surgery right there, the idea of pain makes me super nervous, lol. I've already had a couple of CNA's "not notice" my chin stitches, and accidentally tug on them.

OMG. Ouch.

My mom is staying with me in the ICU and her help has been incredible. She is there at my every beck and call, and it's been unbelievable.

Today she walked with me around the hospital; we think we averaged well over a mile which is obviously good--I have learned to stop every now and again to rest my neck so that I can continue to move forward. I am so hell bent on avoiding pneumonia, and I obviously want to bust out of this place ASAP. So if I have to walk miles to get it done, then I'll do it--haha!

(Me, before a walk...as you can see, I'm thrilled, lol.)


The average stay in this place after a tracheal resection is one week. So I have four days left, I am hoping.

Tom and the kids are coming to visit tomorrow, but Charlotte is sooo sick with a head cold, and it makes me nervous. She FaceTimes me from her iPad every few hours and the poor girl just seems so miserable. :/ Please pray that when she wakes up in the morning, she will be feeling one million times better!

I am so ready to see my babies!!




Comments

Popular Posts