tracheal resection day 1...and, well, day 2

I felt really good heading in to surgery yesterday.

When you anticipate something so major, for so long, you eventually look forward to just getting it done and over with.

I checked in at 5:30am.

By 6:45am, I had a team of doctors coming in to my pre-op room to sign release forms and talk to me a little bit about what they would be doing in the OR.

And this is where I started to get nervous.

When your anesthesia team is explaining to you juuuust how they keep you breathing while your airway is actually cut into three pieces, your stomach tends to get a butterfly. Or two. Or seven.

They left the room, and I just let the tears fall. Suddenly, I was so, so scared.

I wanted my dad to be in the room.

I wanted to fast-forward one week to when I'd hopefully be leaving the hospital.

Instead, my surgeon came into the room. As strange as it sounds, he was wearing a giant black watch--one that my dad would have loved--and it brought me a sense of peace.

He explained to me that my stenosis was so high in the top portion of my trachea, that he was going to need to remove the lower half of my voice box--the cricoid cartilage. My voice would surely get deeper, and if there was any damage to the nerves, there was a good chance I'd be either temporarily or permanently hoarse.

Another low blow.

But it was one I was willing to trade for the ability to breathe normally again.

Finally, it was time. I said goodbye to my mom and Tom. We all cried. But my mom insisted that I had the absolute best guardian angel sitting on my shoulder--and she was right.

The last thing I remember is being wheeled down the hall toward the OR. By then, they had started medication to relax me and I think I went right to sleep. Lol.

I said goodbye to my neck as I knew it...the next time I saw it, I'd have a three-inch incision across the front...


I woke up in the ICU about six or seven hours later. I was strangely comfortable...not what I had anticipated.

The doctor said surgery had gone as perfectly as it could have gone. He was even able to remove my trach scar by cutting over it and incorporating it into the surgery (something I had request that he do, if he was so able). Surgery took a little longer than the standard resection because he had two places to correct, but he was pleased nonetheless.

I seriously have the most amazing surgeon in the world, and I am so thankful for him. He's no-nonsense and he's good at what he does. Perfect, in my mind. In fact, my friend Kelly text me from London wanting to know his name--she had met a doctor there and was explaining what I was going through back in Denver. The doctor seemed panicked and needed to know who was doing my surgery, because--according to him--there is only one, maybe two doctors who have any business performing tracheal resections. When Kelly told him it was Dr. Mitchell, this doctor in London was relieved--that was him!!

So as I explained, I've got a three-inch incision across my neck. I have a drain out of the side of my neck. I have two stitches from my chin to my chest, to keep me from throwing my head around and tearing open the internal incisions on my airway.

I am a beautiful site. Lol.

And the best news is--I don't have a tracheostomy!


 I spent the majority of Day 1 asleep. The anesthesia was wearing off, and I think the general trauma of surgery had me down for the count.

But by morning of Day 2, I was antsy to get moving. Laying in bed for the majority of the first day had my lower lungs showing a little collapse. So they got me started on the spirometer, and I went on a couple of walks.

The first walk was excruciating. I totally wimped out after two laps. You have no idea how heavy your head is until you are forced to hold it into the position that it's in. And all I wanted to do was get back into bed.

For the second walk, I medicated myself before hand, and had my mom rub Plexus ease cream all over the back of my neck and upper back. This made it so much better to power through, and I walked about a half-mile--without once losing my breath! What a blessing!

I have also been approved to speak as much as I can (I'm an Alto, for sure, and my voice is quite weak--but so far not hoarse!), and to move on to a full diet, although I am sticking with softer foods. So today has been mostly Jello-O, mashed potatoes, and a little bit of ice cream.

I am waiting for a room to open up on the 10th floor, as they have approved my move out of the ICU. But apparently nothing has become available as of yet.

So far, there is nothing I regret about having this surgery done. I should be in a lot more pain than I am, and I think I attribute that to the pure joy of being able to breathe again. It's like some strange high, it's total elation to be able to take a deep breath--who the heck cares if I am uncomfortable! I can breathe!

Thank you so much to all of you who have prayed and sent good thoughts. You have no idea how much it means to me. I am not out of the woods yet, though, so I would still appreciate another prayer or two when you get a chance. ;) We are hoping to avoid infection and pneumonia. And in the first day, they sensed a little leakage of air at one of the suture sites--something that has since seemed to clear itself, but I could use prayers that it doesn't return. :)

Sorry for such a boring update, lol. I promise to bore you all again tomorrow. Hehe.

Comments

Popular Posts